Thursday, February 23, 2012

Socks - Toe Up, Two-at-a-Time, Magic Loop


I LOVE knitting socks. When I first decided to try to knit a sock, I was quite intimidated. I had never used dpns before, and all those needles looked very intimidating. I was lucky enough to see the sock episode of Knitty Gritty with Karen Baumer and then Stephan Pearl-McPhee (aka Yarn Harlot). They made it seem do-able so I tried it. I fiddled with the needles the first few times, taking care not to have the dreaded "ladders" along the side. After a few socks, I GOT IT. It was like sock knitting fused with my soul somehow. (Please forgive my picture quality)

Then I started using smaller and smaller needles. Then I discovered knitting one sock on two circular needles thanks to Cat Bordhi's book, "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles" and indeed they did. About a year ago, I found Melissa Morgan-Oaks book, "Toe up Two at a Time Socks (Two at Once on One Circular Needle). Truth be told, I had tried to master the Magic Loop before, but I just could not get it with the instructions I had. I love this book. She takes it - literally - step by step - with illustration and instruction that I found very easy to follow. This is probably my 20th pair.

I usually knit socks when I'm still thinking about a larger project - putting together my ideas, trying to imagine it all the different ways in my mind. Sometimes it takes me longer to reach a conclusion than others. I would think everyone does this, but I wonder if that is fact.

It's a balmy 59 degrees here in lovely NJ today. Yesterday I heard the birds when I woke up for the first time since the fall. Can't wait...Spring

No comments:

Post a Comment