Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hexi-unpuffs!!

I love this idea. I discovered it a few weeks ago, and it's been percolating ever since. The idea of signing up for a project like this is a little daunting for me though. I'm one of those knitters that usually has to finish one project before I can start a new one. Annoying I know. I wasn't always that way. I used to have lots of projects OTN, but I don't like to quit things once I start them, and leaving a project OTN for any extended period of time feels like quitting to me.

My mother has a quilt made by my great grandmother that is little hexagons of different fabric orchestrated into beautiful designs. I've always loved that quilt. The idea that my great grandmother, who died when I was a baby so I never knew her, cut and sewed every little hexagon on the quilt has always been amazing to me.

I love to knit socks. I knit a lot of socks. I have lots of left over sock yarn and didn't know what to do with it. This is the perfect project for that reason.

I have made a couple of alterations OTN and in my mind. My guage is a little tighter so my size 4 hexipuff is a little smaller. That's ok -- it gave me an idea to arrange more of a graphic design when sewing them together. I am not going to stuff them with polyfill. While I think it looks great that way, I want to be able to keep this on the guest bed all year. I think it would be too hot for the spring/summer. I have also thought of a different way to sew them together. It may or may not work, but if it does, it will make the quilt reversible.

Thanks to Tiny Owl Knits for the pattern and the inspiration. You can check my Ravelry page - shihtzuma for updates on this project.

(don't know why I but I couldn't get the image to load right-side-up)

No comments:

Post a Comment